Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
Tinnitus is the perception of a sound that has no external source. Some of the more common sounds reported are ringing, humming, buzzing, and cricket-like. It can be constant or intermittent and is heard in one ear, both ears or in the head. Tinnitus can originate in the middle ear (behind the eardrum) or in the sensorineural auditory system.
THE MOST COMMON CAUSES ARE:
- Noise exposure (e.g. from shooting or machines at work)
- A natural part of the aging process
- Head injury (e.g. from a car accident or fall)
- As a side effect of medications (e.g. aspirin — see ototoxic drugs)
Tinnitus, while perceived in the ear, actually occurs in the brain. To date, there is no cure for this affliction. The number of people affected is growing fast and statistics show that one in five people suffer from tinnitus. Tinnitus is also the leading “souvenir” that veterans retain from service.
Despite the lack of a cure, management strategies can bring a reduction in symptoms and an improved quality of life.
This is where the Levo System comes in. Through a series of interactive activities, the precise sound of your tinnitus will be identified, giving you the means to understand and demonstrate to others the sound you live with. Your unique sound is then used to create an individualized therapy for you to use at home while you sleep.
Utilizing an FDA-cleared neuroscience-based approach, the Levo System is a personal and patented nightly sound therapy designed to improve the quality of your daily life.
Unlike traditional maskers and/or sound generators, only the Levo System:
- Is specifically designed for use during sleep when the brain is especially responsive to habituation.
- Can identify the unique tinnitus sound of each individual.
- Allows you to hear the sound the patient lives with.
- Tracks patient use and response to therapy using smart technology.
- Uses custom earbuds & Apple digital devices.
Through a series of interactive activities, the precise sounds of your tinnitus are identified, giving you the means to understand and demonstrate to others the noise you live with. This sound is unique to you and is used to create an individualized therapy for you to use at home while you sleep.
Dr. Hannah L. Nixon is a trained and certified Levo provider. To schedule a tinnitus evaluation, call (256) 571-8450 today.